When your back or neck hurts, it seems like you hurt all over—even simple activities can be painful. But you don’t have to live that way.
We specialize in care for back, neck and spine conditions caused from fractures, deformities, sports-related injuries and congenital defects. Treatments may include medications, physical therapy and injections, or may require a surgical approach. Our surgeries take place at the Center for Spine Surgery at Anne Arundel Medical Center.
Common causes of neck and back problems may include:
- Acute muscular neck pain or lower back pain
- Lower back strain
- Overuse injuries
If your symptoms don’t improve with treatment at home, you should:
- Talk to your primary care physician about your symptoms, or
- Consider an evaluation through our fast-access SpineToday program.
Conditions We Treat
- Degenerative disc disease
- Compression fracture
- Herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Scoliosis, spondylolisthesis and spinal deformity
- Previously failed spine surgery
Center for Spine Surgery
If your condition requires surgical treatment, our Center for Spine Surgery is a dedicated unit on Anne Arundel Medical Center's campus designed specifically to meet the unique needs of patients requiring specialized spine surgery. With a dedicated team to oversee your care, including medical hospitalists, specialized bedside and operating room nurses, and therapists, the Center for Spine Surgery is one of the busiest programs in Maryland. The center features:
- State-of-the-art, less-invasive surgery options, including intra-operative 3D computer navigation technology
- Access to spine pre-operative classes for you and your caregivers, where you can learn about your surgery, what to expect during your stay in the hospital and during recovery
- In-home physical therapy through our PT360 program to make sure you are ready for your recovery both before and after surgery
- A spine surgery care coordinator who facilitates your care
- Emphasis on individual care
- Family and friends participating as coaches in your recovery process
- Family-centered visitation hours
And because our doctors believe patients play a key role in ensuring a successful recovery, we’ll involve you in your treatment through each step of the process.
What to Expect
The causes of back, neck and spine pain are complicated. Some conditions can be treated immediately. Others require a complete treatment plan and follow-up. If yours does, a trained nurse navigator will coordinate your treatment. We will design the treatment plan just for you, through consultation with experts on:
- Pain management
- Physical therapy
- Spine surgery
And of course, we’ll keep your referring physician updated regularly with your progress.
Fast Access to Spine Care
Our SpineTODAY program can get you on a fast track for treatment when you’re in pain. SpineTODAY provides care for:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Disc herniations
- Pinched nerves
- Sciatica pain